A First Tier rail contractor is opening new offices in Glasgow and is looking for a high calibre of staff to enhance its Senior Management Team. The SWGR team is helping in this request.
As Estimator, you would be required to:
(Those marked by an asterisk are specific safety responsibilities for this post)
- Produce estimates from first principal of lowest feasible prime cost in accordance with relevant procedures, ITT documents, tender deadlines, and information provided by members of bid team. This may include production of: bills of quantities; activity schedules; schedules of rates; dayworks; etc. Seek guidance from Senior Estimators as required in order to develop knowledge.
- Work with production staff to establish methodology, programme, resource requirements etc.
- Work with Commercial and Procurement staff to identify s/con packages, prepare enquiries, and select suppliers in order to obtain the required number of compliant competitive quotations.
- Where necessary produce programmes to assist in establishing resource requirements.
- Contribute to risk review / assessment process where required.
- Take part in review and handover meetings as required.
- Produce commercial information in the prescribed format and detail to enable commercial delivery team to upload to COINS Valuations.
- *Operate within the practice and procedures of the quality system.
- *Take due regard of all health and safety issues, both in preparation of tender information and in undertaking of own duties and responsibilities.
- Work with members of bid team to assemble supporting information for tender review and submission.
- Assist as required in post tender negotiations.
- Keep abreast of operating/installation methods adopted on site, and the resources required in same, through visits to site and discussions with management.
- Work to best practice throughout estimating function based on established procedures.
- *Discharge safety critical duties and responsibilities within this JD/SRS and any other safety critical competencies which are mandatory upon the post holder.
- Construction-related degree
- Contracting experience in rail/construction industry
- Analytical approach, good communication skills, IT and keyboard skills, ability to work under pressure to rigid time constraints
- Full driving licence
- Contractual knowledge and awareness and experience of using estimating packages. Knowledge of rail related materials, procedures and standards.
- Membership of related professional body
- Wide ranging contracting experience relating to the signalling and/or permanent way
- Commercial awareness, negotiating skills, presentation skills
- Personal Track Safety
- Organisational abilities